Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fourth of July Weekend


Babies playing on the lawn, not-ready-for-Pinterest patriotic ice cream cones, a few fireworks of our own and plenty of fireworks in the skies.  The photos are from the evening of the 4th, which we celebrated with friends.


The whole semi-extended weekend has been packed with summertime.  Ribs, ice-cream lunch (if it has fruit on top, you can call it lunch), watching our minor league baseball team, more fireworks.  Time alone to get started on my summer's writing project.  And today we topped it all off with a messy tie-dye party.  But I have no pictures of that, because I spent the day with my hands covered in colored dye.


This quote from Erma Bombeck made it's way through my Facebook feed a couple of times on Thursday, and it seemed worth repeating:

“You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism."

I almost wonder if we're better, as a country, for having our Independence Day right in the middle of the summer.  Because really, how else could you celebrate at this time of year but with food and friends and mosquito bites and late nights.

1 comment:

  1. Fun! Sorry we couldnt make it to your party!!! I hope we can play soon, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete